We've had a long association with Carl. In a previous blog post, I wrote that Carl's painting "Three Pears" was the first piece we sold as the new owners of the Assiniboia Gallery. The day was September 1, 1999. I remember that day and that moment like it was yesterday. (Actually, I remember it even better than yesterday...I'm currently suffering from new-baby-lack-of-sleepitis. But, I digress...) Anyway, that was a big day for us and looking back I'm so glad our first sale was a piece by one of our favourite artists:)
I thought it might be fun to share some insider tidbits about Carl.
Did you know that:
1. Carl is the proud father of 5 children. Yes, that's right...5!! I come from a family of 5 so I know it's not that common. Out of these 5 children Carl has several grandchildren whom he adores and he's always telling us funny stories about them.
2. Carl has a very dry sense of humour. We appreciate people who don't take themselves too seriously. Carl is one of those people.
3. Carl started painting as a hobby later in life. He joined a guild and it quickly became apparent that he was very talented.
4. Carl worked in retail for many years before embarking on his full time professional artist career. This experience gives him a unique perspective on the selling side of the gallery business.
5. Carl is a bit of a fashionista. He's been known to wear custom tailored suits to openings.
6. Carl fits very large paintings into a very small car.
7. Carl is a health food nut and fitness junky. He works out every day.
8. Carl is the guy carefully inspecting each pear in the Safeway produce department. He never actually gets around to eating them because as soon as they are perfect for painting they are too ripe to eat!
Now you've got some great trivia for your next cocktail party!